Thursday, March 16, 2006

Throughout all the somewhat frantic busyness leading up to Test and the Quartermain interview, etc., I've been making sure I take some time to write each day, just to keep in touch. I've mostly been editing, which means deleting heavily and trashing a good many poems. My manuscript, which was close to twenty pages, is now down to eight (or possibly ten). I like the push-pull of improvisation and discovery and then refocusing. This is definitely a "pull" phase, and it feels good. Anyway, I found myself buying a grey Duo-Tang for the MS, which I suppose means something.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Schmidt said...

Wonderful! As for my MS, I am eying a grey super-heavy-duty Rubbermaid garbage can. My shredder will look lovely mounted on top. Worry not, I'll recycle every shred.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey, I wonder if anyone has used a shredder as a compositional aid. Would it work? I mean, that would be cutup writ extremely small, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I don't believe you.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk to what's-his-beaulieau about the shredder as compositional tool.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Tracy Hamon said...

A shredder.

Now, there's a multi-media project. Shredded lines/words placed on grey papered poems. By gosh, you two are simply brilliant.

As for manuscripts--lets not talk about those.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Ariel Gordon said...

This shredderific discussion reminds me of a piece in the recent Supernovas show at the WAG - artist Eric Lesage shredded a dictionary and is reassembling it in a series of woven panels.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Clarity R. said...

found work is worrying me. lately. more. and reassembling, and kenneth goldsmith.

back a while ago this idea: people can make their own meaning and meaning is a product like those produced by capitalism (i'm sure you will recognize this terribly inept paraphrase of mccaffery). poets can build a can of spaghetti and it will be alive with imputed meaning. (i have a feeling this is sounding sarcastic; if so, not meant).

barrett watten also speaks in a worrying way about the relationship of art to capital (long essay published as a chapbook-- can't remember the title offhand).

it's just worrying me. does this worry anyone else?

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home