Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Unfortunately, due to a minor household disaster last night (a leak in our roof) and my tardy arrival at the Cameron House, I'll have to limit my contribution to the response to the latest Lex to Rob Read's performance and the open michelle. I'm compelled first, though, to mention Read's reading ensemble, which conjured the spirit of David Byrne's large white suits. It was only later that Read showed me the blue-faced police officers on his tie, a revelation from which I still haven't recovered. Read read Neil Hennessey's review of O Spam, Poams (plundered from a review of Ralph's Potted Meat Food Product) and then a delightful selection of his treated spam, all with his customary repertoire of voices and accents. If you haven't heard Rob read, you should check him out when you have a chance.

Last night's open michelle has left us with a new standard of excellence. Performers included Lynn McClory (who looked so clam-happy on stage), Maggie Helwig (who began by heckling the hecklers), Marianne Apostolides (who read the first poem she'd written since Grade 5. How cool is that?), a francophone poet whose name I should probably know (who openly and rather directly, but ultimately, I think, accidentally, propositioned Angela) and, get this, John Barlow (who has now read twice in public in the past month).

Oh, and my final vision from last night: Rachel Zolf and Jay Millar waltzing. It's true. It really happened. Jay even said something about having taken dance lessons.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nadia said...

I'm so sorry I missed it!
:( Tuesdays are just the worst day of the week for me this term. Next term, no more missed Lex.

Someone should call the Cameron to find out exactly how many forgotten umbrellas they netted at the end of the evening.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Yes, in fact I noticed an important person was missing. I figured you was astudyin'.

3:14 PM  
Blogger i love you said...

what a great lex!

such a nice vibe, and all good readings.

photos soon.

love!
sharon

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home