Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hey, I'm reading next Wednesday at the Drake Hotel as part of Damian Rogers's series, the Pontiac Quarterly. This installment's theme is virginity. Here's the info:
Wednesday, August 17
Drake Hotel
1150 Queen St. West
8:00pm, $10 or pwyc

Readings by Karen Hines, Claudia Dey, Andrew Kaufman, Mark Truscott, and angry man Edward Keenan. Essay by David Balzer, advice column "Liz, What the Fuck?" and a short film by Alex Pugsley.
So why would you want to pay $10 to hear me read at some hotel where, from what I hear, the staff wear those annoying headsets? Good question. As far as I know, the other readers are good. Plus I'll be reading very little from SLROT (i.e., most of what I read will be new). That's the virginity tie-in. Get it?

Also, Rogers seems to be doing what she can for the interesting lit. scene as arts editor at Eye.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lynn said...

hey mark, there's a forthcoming book from new york university press called "virginity lost: an intimate portait of first sexual experiences". covers items like what does "going all the way" mean for gays and lesbians, what constitutes a "postitive" experience, virginity as a "gift", as a "stigma", and "born again virgins" who re-commmit their dedication to abstinence after a religious awakening. this seemed like good banter for a poetry reading dubbed "virginity".

9:14 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks, Lynn. I'll see if I can work all of that in.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Daniel Sendecki said...

I gave my word, to stop at third.

Will try to make it out, Mark, living in the 'burbs, though, makes it a long day!

How much time will the readers have?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Ha ha. I wonder how quickly they deliver.

Actually, I don't know how long I'm supposed to read for. Given the number of readers, I can't imagine that it'd be more than ten minutes.

Thanks for trying. No pressure! It's a long way.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Steven Moore said...

I'll be there in spirit.

It's 21 years since I last went to a reading.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks, Steven. I'll keep my eye out for spirits.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Steven Moore said...

You should do some mp3s of you reading & put them on your website. Your poems seem to belong so neatly on the page I'd be fascinated to hear how they come off it.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home