Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Alcuin

Said Like Reeds or Things (the book) has won the poetry category of the Alcuin Society's 2004 Award for Excellence in Book Design in Canada. I'm thrilled, because this award highlights the fact that the book was, when it comes down to it, a group effort. Darren Wershler-Henry, the winner, has designed a book that feels like an extension of the poetry, not like packaging. And of course he benefited, as I have, from the practical and intellectual advantages of working with everyone at Coach House Books and Coach House Printing.

Here is my memory of part of Darren's, Coach House editor Alana Wilcox's and my meeting in which we discussed the book's design. This should make clear how little help I was with respect to this facet of the book:

DW=H: Let's talk about the cover. So, Mark, what sort of associations come to mind when you think of your book?

MT: I dunno. It's about things.

DW=H: Things? What kind of things?

MT: Just things. You know, things. The thingness of things.

AW: There are a lot of domestic images in the book. A lot of windows for instance. How about a window on the cover?

MT: Nah, I like toasters.

(Actually, I don't think I helped even that much.) Congrats, Darren. Congrats also to Tony Glenesk and Oliver Barnett, who printed the book; to John Barbados and Nicky "Drumby Sureshot" Drumbolis, who folded and bound it; to John DeJesus, who oversaw the printing and binding; and to Stan Bevington, who worked his book magic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nadia said...

"the thingness of things"

Quiddity!

It is indeed a sharp-looking book -- congrats.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Of course. I've misremembered. I actually said, "It's about squid. The squidness of squid."

Mark

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news. Congratulations!

--patricia

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home